Friday, January 22, 2016

Super Genes

Super Genes I wasn't expecting to like as much as I did. I almost thought it was going to be another fad diet book or at least something that was boring and filled with a mix of scientific and new age mumbojumbo. However I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting this book was and how informative it was. I keep finding myself telling people about it, especially anyone who is looking to improve their overall health. The only reason I ended up reading it was because I've heard of Deepak Chopra.

The whole idea of epigenetics was fascinating to me and how our gut microbes can completely affect how our DNA affects our health and body in general. I haven't taken a science class in a LONG time so I haven't learned much about genetics since. I had always learned the your DNA can't change, so the idea of epigenetics kind of blew my mind that our decisions in our life can affect our DNA to turn on and turn off different genetic markers. And it really makes sense to me. Just because you have Alzheimer's or breast cancer markers in your DNA it doesn't guarantee you'll get either. However the choices in diet, exercise, and exposure to various environmental factors can change your chances of getting any disease you genetically have a chance to get.

I'm overweight, and struggle even when my diet and exercise is on point to lose weight. And, while I don't want to use it as an excuse, the idea that my gut microbes could be working against me is something I really need to consider. So I plan on incorporating the techniques to reset my gut within the book. As well as try to incorporate many of the other suggestions into my daily life. I know better than to try to change everything at once, and the authors know this as well, suggesting making one change a week whether minor or major, so that by halfway through the year many of the early easier minor changes are firmly ingrained in daily life and the medium to major lifestyle changes don't feel quite as daunting.

I've never been much for meditation but I do enjoy yoga, so I'm seriously considering one of my changes further down the line as adding meditation to my routine.

I highly recommend this book to anyone trying to make a healthier life and hope to avoid conditions that you may have inherited from your family.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment